Director of Communications
The Director of Communications is a key member of the museum’s leadership team and is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of MOCA North Miami’s communication and marketing efforts. The Director of Communications has strong writing skills and experience with digital innovation and branding. This position works collaboratively with all departments in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, to manage, develop, and produce content for various outlets.
This position reports to the Executive Director, supervises one staff member, and manages outside contractors and vendors.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Develop and implement a strategic, comprehensive communications and marketing plan that will maximize exposure and build audiences for the Museum, its exhibitions, programs, collections, and special events.
- Collaborates with various teams to support the Museum’s fundraising programs.
- Develop the style, format, and tone of all museum communications – written, visual, and spoken,and train staff to implement positive marketing culture throughout the entire Museum.
- Ensures that all print, advertising, and digital communications are attractive, effective, and ready for publication. All material should be well designed and curated to support the growth of the Museum.
- Manage social media, search trends, brand awareness, and targeted advertising efforts in partnership with contracted social media expert.
- Create and oversee audience outreach efforts.
- Direct media relations efforts and serve as spokesperson and/or media relations liaison during press previews and visits as necessary.
- Provides clear reports on the impact of outreach campaigns.
- Develops and manages the annual departmental budget.
- Participate in Board of Trustees meetings, as requested.
- Participate in the museum’s long-term strategic planning process.
- 4-5 years of progressive experience in communications, marketing, and or public relations.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, as well as professional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well in a small, entrepreneurial team environment.
- Experience working in the arts and culture sector strongly preferred.
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends.
- BA in Communications or related field
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of email management tools
- Background Check
- For special events, must be able to remain standing for several hours at a time. Position may require occasional lifting of 25 pounds or less.
- MA in related field
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Haitian Creole
- Experience with Altru and/or other databases
This is a salaried position requiring some evening and weekend hours.
Salary starts at $60,000, commensurate with experience.
The Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to [email protected] with subject DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS. No phone calls please.
The Development Coordinator is responsible for supporting and growing the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami’s fundraising efforts in the areas of membership, annual giving, gift processing, donor relations, and stewardship.
Fundraising and Membership
- In concert with the Director of Development, create and execute annual campaigns to acquire, steward, renew, and upgrade gifts between $1 and $10,000
- Act as front-line point of contact for members regarding fulfillment of benefits, museum updates and general inquiries
- Establish and nurture relationships with supporters and ensure top-notch customer service is provided to members
- Collaborate with Director of Development on designing and implementing an attractive suite of benefits for all donor segments
- Oversee donor recognition program, ensuring supporters are properly recognized on a variety of platforms
- Create and disseminate member newsletters
- Collaborate with Special Events and Partnerships Manager on donor cultivation and membership events
- Collaborate with Communications Department on efforts that support fundraising
- Promote membership at external and internal events on behalf of MOCA
- Occasionally represent MOCA at events and conferences, and assist with special events as needed
- Assess, update and manage donor software database
- Coordinate all donor mailings including acknowledgements and renewals
- Process memberships and gifts, and collaborate with Finance Department to ensure efficient gift processing
- Manage hard copy and electronic filing system
- Produce reports and lists for Director of Development and Leadership
- Draft copy for acknowledgements, renewals and other correspondence
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in a high-energy nonprofit environment or equivalent
- Strong desire to work in a start-up environment
- At least two years of fundraising, membership, and event coordination experience
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and coordinate standard professional correspondence and communications pieces
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational, analytical, and planning skills, with ability to meet deadlines
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; warm and pleasant demeanor
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to interact with people of all levels and backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and maintain composure under time constraints
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively to achieve departmental goals
- Proficiency in Altru (or similar system)
Physical Job Requirements
While performing this job the employee will be required to sit (75%), stand, walk (25%), and lift up to 25 pounds. For special events, must be able to remain standing for several hours at a time. This individual will be required to do close work with a computer monitor and repetitive hand movement.
Normal working hours will sometimes include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must be willing and able to participate in work events that occur during these times.
This positions reports to the Director of Development.
$40,000 – $45,000 DOE along with an excellent benefits package
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This description is subject to change at any time.
The Museum of Contemporary Art considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Applicants: Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to [email protected] with subject DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR. No phone calls please.
2018 Fall Internship Program
Starting September 10th
The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami is pleased to announce our Fall 2018 Internship program. MOCA is committed to providing opportunities for diverse audiences to learn, grow, and consider professions in the contemporary art and museum field. Our summer interns will work alongside key MOCA staff across various offices. Interns will be assigned specific projects to complete throughout the program, but will have access to other departments to learn how the museum functions overall. MOCA Internships are available to undergraduate and graduate students. Internships at MOCA require a commitment of 20 hours per week (minimum). Internships will last 10 weeks, with flexible start/end dates based on the student and departmental needs.
The 2018 Fall Collections Intern will work alongside the Museum Registrar to research the museum’s permanent collection. This research project will allow interns to gain hands-on experience in organizing and cataloguing museum collection objects. The intern will be tasked with gathering information of artists, acquisition and object information as it relates to the collection. The Collections Intern will be trained in the Embark Collections Management Software, where they will update digital records based on research findings. Art history, museum studies, and fine arts majors are welcomed to apply.
The 2018 Fall Marketing Intern will assist MOCA’s graphic designer in digital outreach using social media. The intern will plan social media posts, take photographs, and engage in social media to increase MOCA’s online presence. The Marketing Intern will learn how to use social media in the museum field. Communications, museum studies, and graphic design majors are welcomed to apply.
The Education department at MOCA seeks a summer intern to assist in the planning of the Fall 2018 educational programming at MOCA. Using information available on the upcoming exhibitions, the Education Intern will work alongside the Education Instructor to develop and plan student-focused activities at the museum. The intern will also learn how to effectively engage in community outreach, which invites students from diverse backgrounds to MOCA’s education opportunities. Early childhood education, museum education, and arts education majors are welcomed to apply.
The Administration intern will assist the Executive Assistant in organizing events at the museum. The Administration Intern will learn how to manage schedules, coordinate with vendors, and conduct inventories as assigned. Museum studies and business administration majors are welcomed to apply.
If interested, please contact Adriana Martinez via email with a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Please include your name and department of interest in the subject of your email.
Artwork Submission Policy
The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami does not review or accept any unsolicited artworks or portfolios submitted by email, mail, or in-person. Any works or portfolios received by MOCA North Miami will not be returned.
No calls please or drop in visits!