Assistant to the Executive Director
The Assistant to the Executive Director plays a central role in the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami’s administrative operations. They schedule and manage the Executive Director’s calendar, maintain interdepartmental communication channels, and provide general administrative support to the Director. They will serve as a liaison to the Board of Trustees, City of North Miami officials, and other key constituents. This critical position in a fast-paced is ideal for a candidate interested in participating in all facets of the operation of a contemporary art museum.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide daily updates to the Executive Director to effectively communicate the status of staff schedules, projects, pending appointments, deadlines, and other issues as they arise.
- Prepare agendas and take detailed minutes for critical meetings on behalf of the Executive Director, including but not limited to:
Board of Trustees meetings
Weekly Directors’ meetings
Monthly All-Staff meetings
- Maintain channels of communication between MOCA departments, including dissemination of meeting minutes, tracking important deadlines, and maintaining the museum’s master calendar.
- Prepare and organize all communication required of the museum’s executive office, including but not limited to letters, memoranda, emails, agendas, reports, presentations, and phone calls.
- Scheduling and coordinating appointments on behalf of the Executive Director and other senior management as necessary, including confirming attendance, arranging and/or preparing beverages and catering, basic A/V setup (projector and laptop), preparing meeting materials, and breakdown/clean up afterwards.
- Make travel arrangements for Executive Director, visiting artists and curators, and other staff members as needed.
- Maintain printed and digital files in an accessible fashion on behalf of the Executive Director.
- Organize, schedule and prepare materials for Board of Trustees and related committee meetings, including
- Board orientation information, Board packets, and Board member files.
- Cover the museum’s reception desk as needed.
- Maintain and replenish the museum’s stock of office supplies.
- Update staff contact lists as necessary.
- Act as liaison between City of North Miami’s IT Department and MOCA staff, including opening and tracking service tickets.
- Provide staff support during exhibition openings and other special events.
- At the direction of the Executive Director, assist other MOCA staff with clerical and administrative tasks as necessary and assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 5 years of equivalent experience required.
- 1-2 years of administrative/clerical work, preferably in support of senior management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Superior communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Maturity and discretion.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Capable of working collaboratively and inclusively with all constituent groups of museum staff, Trustees, and visitors.
- Strong sense of personal and professional accountability.
- Able to provide support to a variety of projects, with the ability to adapt to changing priorities with ease, problem-solve, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- Bilingual in English and Haitian Creole and/or Spanish.
- Experience with Altru or another similar CRM/database.
This is a full-time, salaried position requiring some early morning, late evening and weekend hours as necessary. This position may require the ability to remain standing for several hours during special events, as well as the occasional need to lift 25 pounds or less. A level 2 background check will be required upon the offer of employment.
Reports to: Executive Director
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience, including an excellent benefits package.
Applicants: Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to [email protected] with subject ASSISTANT TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. No phone calls please.
MOCA maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. The museum hires, trains, promotes, compensates and dismisses employees without regard for race, color, creed, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, citizenship, or political belief that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions.
Artwork Submission Policy
The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami does not review or accept any unsolicited artworks or portfolios submitted by email, mail, or in-person. Any works or portfolios received by MOCA North Miami will not be returned.
No calls please or drop in visits!