Director of Communications
The Director of Communications is a key member of the museum’s leadership team and is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of MOCA North Miami’s communication and marketing efforts. The Director of Communications has strong writing skills and experience with digital innovation and branding. This position works collaboratively with all departments in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, to manage, develop, and produce content for various outlets.
This position reports to the Executive Director, supervises one staff member, and manages outside contractors and vendors.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Develop and implement a strategic, comprehensive communications and marketing plan that will maximize exposure and build audiences for the Museum, its exhibitions, programs, collections, and special events.
- Collaborates with various teams to support the Museum’s fundraising programs.
- Develop the style, format, and tone of all museum communications – written, visual, and spoken,and train staff to implement positive marketing culture throughout the entire Museum.
- Ensures that all print, advertising, and digital communications are attractive, effective, and ready for publication. All material should be well designed and curated to support the growth of the Museum.
- Manage social media, search trends, brand awareness, and targeted advertising efforts in partnership with contracted social media expert.
- Create and oversee audience outreach efforts.
- Direct media relations efforts and serve as spokesperson and/or media relations liaison during press previews and visits as necessary.
- Provides clear reports on the impact of outreach campaigns.
- Develops and manages the annual departmental budget.
- Participate in Board of Trustees meetings, as requested.
- Participate in the museum’s long-term strategic planning process.
- 4-5 years of progressive experience in communications, marketing, and or public relations.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, as well as professional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well in a small, entrepreneurial team environment.
- Experience working in the arts and culture sector strongly preferred.
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends.
- BA in Communications or related field
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of email management tools
- Background Check
- For special events, must be able to remain standing for several hours at a time. Position may require occasional lifting of 25 pounds or less.
- MA in related field
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Haitian Creole
- Experience with Altru and/or other databases
This is a salaried position requiring some evening and weekend hours.
Salary starts at $60,000, commensurate with experience.
The Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references to [email protected] with subject DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS. No phone calls please.
Artwork Submission Policy
The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami does not review or accept any unsolicited artworks or portfolios submitted by email, mail, or in-person. Any works or portfolios received by MOCA North Miami will not be returned.
No calls please or drop in visits!