The Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami is pleased to announce an open call to South Florida artists for a commission opportunity as part of the 2022 Art on the Plaza initiative.
Last year, the museum inaugurated Art on the Plaza, a series of temporary public art installations on MOCA North Miami’s plaza, that invites artists to activate the space and connect the museum to the community. The 2021 series featured South Florida artists including Reginald O’Neal Morel Doucet and Stephen Arboite, Najja Moon, Nice n’ Easy and Studio AMLgMATD.
This year, we are offering the opportunity for local artists to submit their work through an open call for Art on the Plaza 2022. We are requesting qualifications from professional artists in an effort to promote temporary installations on our public plaza and inspire our community and museum visitors. Selected art works include but are not limited to:
- The building façade or architecture
- Interventions within or incorporating the fountain
- Free standing elements
- Light-based artworks/projections
- Participatory artworks adhering to social distancing guidelines
- Landscape-based artworks or earthworks
Art on the Plaza 2020-21 Season
How to Apply
By Monday, March 28, 2022 11:59 pm:
- Qualifications Materials:
- Work Samples: up to 5 images of completed projects. Please label image files 1-5. (Jpeg)
- Image Key: Create caption list for reach of the five work samples with the following information:
- Artist Name, title, year, medium, dimensions, and brief 1-2 sentence description. (PDF)
- Artist CV – Resume (PDF)
- Artist Statement (up to 200 words) – (PDF)
- Convert PDF files, PNG, or Jpeg images.
- Upload your files to a file hosting service such as Dropbox, WeTransfer or Google Drive, then email the sharable link to firstname.lastname@example.org using “2022 Art on the Plaza” as the email subject line.
Deadline to Submit Qualifications
Monday, March 28, 2022, 11:59 PM
Selection Committee Review & Notification to Artists
March 29 – April 1, 2022
Installation complete of Commission 1: On view through mid-September
Late September 2022
Installation complete of Commission 2: on view through January 2023
*Dates are subject to change
- Artists based in South Florida are invited to submit qualifications.
- A MOCA appointed selection committee will review artists’ qualifications and recommend a shortlist of artists.
- Shortlisted artists will be invited to create full proposals and paid an honorarium for temporary artworks on MOCA Plaza in a competitive process.
- Artist proposals will be reviewed by a MOCA appointed selection committee.
- Selected artists will implement projects with the support of Art on the Plaza Project Manager and Creative Director.
Art on the Plaza is presented by MOCA, with Major Support from the North Miami Community Redevelopment Agency (NMCRA).